Sunday 19 April 2020

Scout Car & AK Weathering Pencils

Last night I began adding some more effects to the model with AK weathering pencils. I started on the guns and ammo boxes as a small test. Using them dry I found that they left a slight sheen to the parts and the colour difference was very slight.

 Next I tried a brush moistened in water to blend and found the pigments from the pencils almost disappeared. Dipping the pencil tip in water and applying left more colour on the parts but again it needed blending which removed most of it. The final results here were very mediocre. 



Moving onto the vehicle now and I used rain marks and chipping colour pencils. Drawing them onto the matt surface left a very grainy finish so blending with a moist brush was needed which again removed almost all of the effect. I found that I had to go over the model multiple times to achieve a decent result which got very tedious very quickly. The result is almost invisible to the naked eye as well. 





At this point I stopped and came to the conclusion that the pencils just don't work for me. I can get much better results with oils and acrylics and get them done far quicker. They also don't suit my painting & weathering style and I found them much less controllable with more chance of buggering up a model than my prefered methods.

Obviously this is my opinion and I know many modellers have had good results using them. I just can't see the point of having to continually go over a model to add the same effects it takes me one pass to achieve with oils and acrylics.   

No comments:

Post a Comment