Tuesday 30 October 2012

Grappling The Grizzy

Today I have made a start on the grizzly not much of one but I have been working out the running order for applying the magic sculpt on the model. However I have altered the engine grills by firstly sanding down the lip around the grills then removing part of each grill to more closely replicate what is seen on the real thing.

A comparison can be seen here,

The hull halves have also been glued together but no suspension or any other parts have been added. The plan is to add the kevlar sheeting then add the rest.

Tomorrow I am going to experiment with the best method to roll the magic sculpt into usable sheets and how best to apply it so it should be a fun packed day!

Monday 29 October 2012

Trumpeter 1/35th Canadian AVGP Grizzly (Late)

Here's the next project on the bench, Trumpeter's new Grizzly late version. Straight out of the box it looks a nice kit however I am going to attempt to add the LAST armour package that was seen on most late grizzles in Bosnia. For info on the LAST package see this link, LAST ARMOUR

My plan is not to add the hexagonal blocks but just the kevlar outer covering. This will be made from rolled magic sculpt and should be enough to suggest the tiles underneath. Here's the real thing,

The overall appearance of the vehicle is quite different from the non LAST armoured versions so should be an interesting conversion.

Neat Nose

Well I have managed to tame the pesky nose with more filling, sanding and re-scribing.The final part that wanted to give me a fight was the grill but it was no match for super glue! I also replaced the moulded handles on the nose with brass rod, not 100% accurate but better than what the kit offers.

The kit has now had a wash in preparation for interior painting, let's hope that goes well!

Thursday 25 October 2012

Nose Troubles

I have been beavering away on the nose section of the Wessex lately and boy was it a struggle! lots of filling, sanding and re scribing lost details and I'm still not finished. I fitted part 28B which is the nose grill housing and the fit is very poor. more sanding to get it flush will be needed here!

The exhausts now look reasonably round in section and I have added rib detail using metal repair tape. I just hope the rest of the kit fits together better than this portion of the model.

Wednesday 24 October 2012


It's with great sadness that I have to tell you that our faithful and beloved Labrador Merlin passed away on Monday evening. Merlin was with us for 13 years and was the life and sole of any party. Especially if it involved food, everyone who met him instantly fell in love with his cheeky ways and loving personality. He loved food obviously! after all he was a lab and could hear the fridge door open or the rustling of a crisp packet at 100 yards! Water was his favourite thing and he would get himself soaked when the opportunity arouse. Usually this involved the muddiest puddle or tank track he could find! During the last couple of years he slowed down somewhat but received a boost when Buck came home to live last year. They both got on famously and loved sharing toys as well as treats. Eventually though old age, a dicky ticker and failing kidneys caught up with him. Rest in peace Merlin we will miss you.

Monday 22 October 2012

A Bench Full Of Bits!

Right it's now back to the Wessex with a vengeance and I have started to get everything cleaned up and ready for cockpit and cargo area painting. I also glued the nose section together and here I needed to sand and test fit first as the fit was not very good. I need to just tidy up the joints on the nose next.
The plastic in this kit is rather soft so care needs to be taken when using the knife. The exhausts are quite horrid and don't look round in section to me so I will sand them to the correct shape later. These would be a must replacement part in resin.

Saturday 20 October 2012

Sd. Kfz 254 Finished

Well the old 254 is now on it's base with the figures and it's all done! This was one of those builds when everything just fell into place which made it all the more enjoyable. Especially as it's such an interesting subject. The figures really have enhanced the display giving a sense of drama and anticipation to the scene, like they have just spotted something which may cause them to beat a hasty retreat!
Top marks must go again to Hobbyboss for producing a kit yet again that I thought would never be released in plastic.

Friday 19 October 2012

Sd.Kfz 254 & Figures Coming Together

I have now completed the figures to my satisfaction and am now sorting out the base and figure placement. The base will be very simple with perhaps some barbed wire in one corner to suggest the crew are looking over a defensive position or mine field. Some fuel cans and a wicker basket and earthenware pot are also being added.

Tuesday 16 October 2012

DAK Figures

After a distinct lack of progress on the 254 lately I have managed to get some work done on the figures over the last couple of days. Vallejo panzer aces colours are my weapon of choice for painting them as I find I get really nice results for minimum effort.

I now only have the flesh areas and insignia to finish off and they will be done.