Monday, 23 April 2018

St George's Day & ASLAV Decals

A happy St George's day to you all where ever you may be. As ever I'm enjoying a nice beer or two to celebrate and get some bench time in this evening.


Talking of which I've just added the decals on the ASLAV. all went down with no issues at all. They add a nice bit of interest and a splash of colour too. 







Sunday, 22 April 2018

ASLAV & Chieftain Progress

Both models have had some attention this weekend and the ASLAV has now been glossed ready for decals after finishing off the camo painting and most of the detail painting. 





The chieftain has also had it's main colour sprayed on and as usual tamiya XF 65 is an excellent start for British armour. Drops of tamiya XF 15 were then added to add highlights and fading effects. A few more passes with progressively lighter shades will finish this off nicely.





Thursday, 19 April 2018

ASLAV Camo Painting

The model has now had the camo painting started and instead of spraying I opted in the end for brush painting. It saves hours of tedious masking and even though a couple of coats are needed for the colour intensity it's far easier on my sanity. Also as it's a hard edged pattern I can't see the need to mask when a brush will do just as well. 

I used vallejo black grey with a drop or two of flat black and panzer aces Italian tank crew. Both are slightly lighter in colour but as ever they will darken with weathering later. 





Tuesday, 17 April 2018

Chieftain In Primer

That's the model all primed so with any luck I'll get the main colours on over the weekend.



Sunday, 15 April 2018

ASLAV-PC Paint On

With the chieftain drying after a wash I have started spraying the ASLAV today. The colours used are quite distinct so I started by mixing tamiya flat flesh, flat earth and white for the tan colour. I think I will add a bit more white to compensate for weathering later on. The green is again a mix of tamiya colours and I used olive green & flat yellow. 

More tweaking will be done during the week as well as finishing off the camo. I'll also make a start on the figures whilst waiting for stuff to dry.



Poole Vikings Show 14/04/18

Yesterday saw myself and the old codger Brian pop down to the Poole Vikings show for a bit of modelling bollocks and a very pleasant spot of lunch. Lucky the weather was grim first thing so I did not have to endure the inevitable top down motoring which is the usual fare when Brian drives his mid life crisis car!  

As usual the show was small but with plenty of traders in attendance. Display wise it seemed to be slightly less crowded than previous years so there was a bit of wriggle room available to view the club displays. I did have a very nice chat to a guy called James who was displaying and also promoting the scale Scotland show to be held on the 25th August this year at Murrayfield. 

We had a good talk about all things 432 and he also had a nice accurate armour version on the table. Trader wise there was plenty of choice and also plenty of difference between prices for the same kit from different traders! The moral here is to browse first and select the better deal. 

I came away with a couple of interesting books and another bit of PLA armour which for £20 was a good price. Plus some tape and dissolved putty. So after an hour or so of, (in my case) limping around we headed off for a very nice pub lunch at the Royal oak somewhere on the edge of the new forest. By now the weather was smashing so obviously Brian had to have the top down on his car! 




















Saturday, 14 April 2018

Chieftain Build Phase Complete

Well that's the model all done and ready for primer. I've added some detail to the t/c station and changed the weedy kit ammo box for a better accurate armour version. Lastly straps have been added from tamiya tape to the barrel sleeve buckles, I then brushed them with thinned mr surfacer.

As ever these takom chieftain's are a joy to build and with a few simple enhancements really look the biz! 





Thursday, 12 April 2018

More Chieftain Progress

The model is now very close to being finished with just the bazooka plates to finish off and a bit of extra detail to add to the commander's cupola. I've also added a very common modification to the rear of the hull by using some spare mesh and an oil drum. I'm also going to add a bit of surface texture to the turret top as well.