Sunday 30 June 2024

Trumpeter BMP-3 Paint On

After a wash and a blast of primer I've now got on the main colour and here I used tamiya XF-55 buff with a bit of white added. This has given me a nice light tan colour. 


Sunday 23 June 2024

Trumpeter BMP-3 In Cyprus Service

On the bench since last week is Trumpeter's BMP-3 Cypriot version. A nice simple build apart from the fiddly tracks which I've just finished this evening. Most of the work went into cleaning up and assembling the tracks which consisted of individual links and track horn guides. Very tedious and fiddly but with some patience and care I managed to get two runs sorted out. 

The only extras are an RB barrel set and antenna set as well as a few bits of lead wire. Overall the detail on the kit is good so I'm looking forward to painting. Next thought will be some assorted stowage and perhaps a standing figure to go with the finished piece.  


Saturday 15 June 2024

Tamiya Martlet Mk V Complete

I've just finished the model off today after a few days adding decals, pin washes and final weathering before matt varnish. I'm very pleased with the final result and like the fact that the invasion stripes are not perfect but rather have the look of being roughly applied.  

The kit was a delight to build and very simple as well. Just the thing for a fun build. I got so carried away with it that taking pictures for the blog went right out of my mind. So apologies for the lack of progress posts during the build. 


Wednesday 5 June 2024

Tamiya Martlet Progress

On this eve of one of the most important days in history, D-day 6th June I've finally found the time to update the build progress. I've been having so much fun that I totally forgot to update the blog as I went along. 

It all started with a nice black primer using Mr surfacer 1500 followed by the grey using tamiya XF 22 RLM grey with fading adding white to the grey. Next the green was from tamiya XF 81 dark green 2 RAF with fading using XF 15 flat flesh. Undersides next with XF 21 sky then onto detail painting using various vallejo colours and green stuff world metallics. 

The kit does come with decals for the invasion stripes or I could spray them but in the end I brush painted them on as I wanted a rough look to them very much like the real thing at the time. So far it's gone very well so next I will be adding a gloss coat before applying decals.