Monday 28 April 2014

Chieftain Turret Almost Done

The turret is almost finished now after adding the dust cover on the gun mount with magic sculpt and adding all the other bits and bobs. The only thing left to add is the commanders MG and a bit of mr surfacer over the turret surfaces.

Some friulmodel metal tracks are on their way so whilst I wait for them to arrive I just need to adapt the side skirt supports with new end brackets and then finally add the front mud flaps.

Sunday 27 April 2014

Turret Time 2

Work continues on the turret and I've now added most of the main parts and detailed them up. The smoke dischargers were a tricky fit to get the correct positions with quite a bit of fettling needed to get them sitting right. The TUAMM box was re-worked with plastic card to get the correct dimensions as well. It's getting close to the end now with only the commanders station, hatches, dust cover for the barrel and a few more other small bits to complete before I can finish the construction.

Saturday 26 April 2014

Chieftain Turret Time

I've now moved onto the turret and started by removing all the details that need replacing. A new rear plate was made up from plastic card too. Again the cast off stuff needs loads of clean up and tweaking to get a good fit. In the end I used an Accurate Armour barrel as the cast off version was so badly cast clean up was impossible. Far to many pin holes, mould lines and warping to sort out. I think as the set is very old the moulds have not been updated for some time hence all the clean up and deformed parts. 

Shame really as the newer cast off sets are really excellent, this set has been a big disappointment so far. Anyway rant over back to the build and the barrel, I added a metal tube into the gun mount and a length of plastic rod in the end of the barrel too. This gives me a nice positive fit and also enables me to add the dust cover and sort out the detail on the gun mount before adding the barrel. Quite handy later on when it comes to painting.

Friday 25 April 2014

JGSDF Type 87 Complete

I've just realised that I forgot to put up the completed Type 87 pictures! must have got so carried away with planning and starting the Chieftain build, anyway here is finally the finished piece. Very pleased with the model it was nice just to add extras from scratch instead of relying on etch or resin. And I also have another rarely seen model for display.


Thursday 24 April 2014

Chieftain Hull Finished

Here's the hull all finished, I added a bit of mr surfacer to the front for some texture and added the tow ropes. I can now move onto the turret which has quite a few changes and extras to add.

Sunday 20 April 2014

Chieftain Bins & Things 2

I've now finished both sides of the hull and added the light clusters with wiring and some missing bolts. It's starting to come together nicely now. The next step is to finish off the front of the hull add the tow ropes and then add a bit of texture to the hull using mr surfacer.

Saturday 19 April 2014

Chieftain Bins & Things

Some work has been done on the model over the last few days and I've been working on the last bits for the rear deck and the hull stowage bins. Lots of etch to add here which although fiddly really lifts the details on these parts. I'm also adding the side skirt hangers as I work my way down each side. Later a thin fillet of plastic will be added along each side to replicate the distinct "L" shaped edge to the sides.

Friday 18 April 2014

Rolo The Chocolate Labrador

Rolo has now been here a week and he's really settled in well. He's really enjoying all the exercise, attention and play and has calmed down loads. He's had his first vet's visit, went to work with my wife Chris and chewed his way through an emhar whippet kit and my camera that I use to take model pictures!

So quite a busy week for him and us especially adjusting to having a dog around the house again. It's been great fun even though I have not been at the bench much. However he does like coming into the man cave whilst I model and just settles down in his bed for a kip. He's a bit of a modelling dog this one.

Saturday 12 April 2014

A New Addition...........

He's the new addition to the Smith household a lovely chocolate Labrador who we have named Rolo. He's 8 months old and needed a new home as his previous owner could not dedicate enough time and attention to him. He was left alone for quite a lot of the time. Not good for a lab or any dog for that matter. He's smart as a button, loves to play and is already learning new commands. He's a bit chunky at the moment as he has been over fed but a reduction in rations and proper exercise will soon put that to rights.

Today was his first full day with us and he's had a great time. And we have had fun being with him. He's just such a loveable lad! As you all know it's been a year since my GSD Buck died but now it feels right giving a dog that needs some attention and structure in it's life a new home and loving family. He's certainly put a smile on my face!