Sunday 29 September 2019

Belgian Leopard 1 Finished

I've now finished the project after spraying a very thin mix of tamiya buff around the lower hull followed by a fine application of VMS pigments. The exhausts where stained using VMS soot pigment too. Finally the base was dry brushed with a light grey to pick out the raised surface of the concrete.

I've enjoyed this project immensely and learnt a few new methods and tricks along the way. The revell kit is pretty good even though there are some flaws and over simplifications but with a few extras and some work it really does scrub up well. I must say a massive thank you to Marc Mercier for all his help before and during the build, After all I was building his tank! I hope I've done a half decent job Marc. 

So next stop for this model is Belgium in a couple of weeks and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this goes down with my Belgian friends. 

















7 comments:

  1. Excellent finish there Pete - the Tamiya Khaki Drab came out great after the matt coat, I must try that colour more often as when I've used it before it's always come out as a chocolate brown shade; they must have changed the formulation slightly like they did with their Olive Drab. Plus I'll definitely be looking more closely at the Vallejo concrete paste as your results with that are incredible.
    Well done mate, & good luck for Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Chris, the Khaki drab idea came from Brian who used it on his M75 last year, worked a treat too. The concrete is actually AK stuff mate, it's still acrylic based and like the tarmac doesn't need painting just a bit of weathering to finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice work, I build scale models myself and you've answered a few of my questions. Wish I had the patience, talent, skills to do that kind of work. I have the materials but I could never hope to create something close to your level. I just don't have that artistic piece needed for the overall effect I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Edward, it's really all down to practice and perseverance and most importantly building and painting something because you want too no matter what skill level you are. For me modelling is a constant learning curve and there are some things I'm good at and others I am not. In the end it boils down to mistakes and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete
    Looking at these pictures to me is like taking a trip down memory lane to 1984. Your final applications brought it all together.
    I concur with the others that the texture on the concrete floor is just stunning.
    Hope to see you in Affligem to see Charlie 35 in the flesh.
    Cheers
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marc many thanks I'm glad it brought back some memories. Look forward to seeing you at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work as always! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete