Saturday 18 December 2021

Challenger 2 Turret Next

I've now finished off the hull with just the side skirts to sort out later. The front splash plate is just fixed temporary for the pictures, I might make a new part later as I'm not entirely happy with the etched kit item. On the real tank there is no ribbing or raised areas, it's just a plain sheet of metal. 

Working on the turret this morning which is made up of a lower and upper section plus three vertical sections for the sides and rear. There is quite a bit if flash on these parts so some careful sanding and fitting ensures a good mating surface. The mantlet was also built up and here I made a blank firing adaptor for the co-ax using punched plastic card. Very happy with it even though it was extremely fiddly to build.

Once all parts of the turret fitted correctly I deviated from the instructions and glued the side sections to the lower turret section instead of the upper one. I found this much easier to get a good fit. Tamiya quick setting glue was used for this.










 


No comments:

Post a Comment