Thursday 6 February 2020

Base Experiment

Today I've been experimenting with a way to simulate broken glass embedded in mortar on the top of the block wall. For this I used some microscope glass cover slips I've had for ages & have used in the past for windows. This is really really thin glass and perfect for modelling as you can't get better than the real thing.

I started by placing three sheets of glass in a small plastic bag and breaking them up. Next I mixed up some plaster and added a good slug of wooden deck tan paint before spreading this on the top of the wall. Whilst the plaster was drying I pressed shards of the glass into the plaster and left it to set. Once dry I brushed on some VMS sand and ballast freeze to see if it would fix the shards in place. I'm pleased to say it fixed them in place brilliantly.

I think the result is very realistic and as the plaster is already coloured I only have to add some staining and pigments to it later.







No comments:

Post a Comment