Friday 22 January 2021

Tamiya JGSDF Type 16

Time to start a new project & I've selected this great kit from tamiya. As you would expect progress has been rather rapid after starting last night. I now have a rolling chassis in a very short space of time. Details on the kit are on the whole very good. It does suffer from some shortcomings though in the form of lumps of plastic that should be handles, and like most modern Japanese armour the real thing is festooned with tie downs which again are represented in the kit by small bits of plastic. 

You also need to add the front and rear lights to the model before assembling the hull but tamiya do provide masks for these which I'll add before primer. Any handles have been shaved off and replaced with lead wire which looks far better. I will replace the wheels with resin items as well, again as they have better detail compared to the kit rubber ones.










2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this build (pretty much always) because I built this last year.
    https://imgur.com/a/OlpzZeI (You can remove the link if you don't allow)

    I know yours will be much better; I keep saying I'm going to try weathering but never get to it. You really do nice work; it gives me something to work toward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Edward glad you like the build so far. I like your one as well, the paintwork is very neat indeed. As for weathering well you don't have to do too much at first. Sometimes a very thin spray of tamiya buff or flat earth is all you need. I'd suggest if you want to try weathering practice is the key. An old model that you don't mind using as a test bed is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete