Tuesday, 2 April 2019

Model T, Bit of a balls up!!

Over the last couple of days I've got the mat varnish on and allowed it to cure. Last night I started fitting the rear tailgate sections and discovered that the top section did not conform to the shape of the roof. After some swearing and head scratching I discovered that I'd actually used the wrong bloody part when building the model.

The kit had two different rear top panels and of course I chose the wrong one and also binned the other part! Well after even more choice swearing I had to cut off the top portion and knock up something from plastic card. Annoying to say the least but at least it's not difficult. So the morale of this story is if your kit has multiple choices for main body parts remove the buggers you don't need first before starting the kit!


  1. Thanks for the previous reply. Nice work - I've been checking your blog for a long time and build some of the models you post - like the fork lift and Lanchester armoured car (mine don't look as good as yours but I'm improving.) Recently started using the decal solvents to get the "painted on" look. Do you use a gloss coat of Future or equivalent before and after applying decals? When you apply the decal solvent, do you just let it sit or give it some help with a cotton swab? I often damage the decal if I use a swab but leaving it sit sometimes doesn't give complete results around bolts or rivets. Maybe I just need more patience? I know these questions are on forums but they never seem to be specific answers or they give several conflicting answers.

  2. Hi Edward I'm glad you like the blog and have felt inspired enough to build some of the kits I've shown here. As for decals my approach is always apply over a gloss coat which is usually future. I use Daco products decal setting solutions. They do three types, soft, medium and strong. I generally use the medium which works well on almost all decals. I always brush a small bit onto the model first then place the decals, next I wick away any water or access solution with a cotton bud and then brush more solution on top of the decal. I then leave this for a good 20 minutes then check the decal again. With daco they really snuggle down well even over rivets and raised details but if they need a bit of persuading I tend to dip a cotton bud in water then lightly press down over the raised areas. This will ensure the decal conforms to the rivets etc. The real trick is a good setting solution and leaving well alone once applied. Once the decals have dried overnight I then wipe gently with water and a cotton bud to remove any residue then once dry seal in with gloss again. Hope that helps you out!