I've now started on the bins and here I've used some lead foil and some brass buckles from an old etched set. The bins from what I can gather were secured by two straps at the top and two hinges at the bottom. The leather strap was fastened to the upper and lower bars and this secured the lid of the bin.
By using the lead foil it was easy to wrap it around the bars then glue it to the bin. Holes in the belt were made using a pin. As you can see this arrangement is more substantial and looks much better than the straps molded on the kit parts. It also shows the bins secured correctly to the hull rather than just floating there. I've also added some bolts to the other side of the hull again using my references.