I have now started adding the kevlar covering and as I said I have used magic sculpt which I have rolled out into thin sheets using a wooden dowel and plenty of johnsons baby powder.
The baby powder stops the magic sculpt from sticking to the work surface and tools. I have managed to get nice thin sheets using this method. I then trimmed the sheets roughly to shape and placed on the model.
Once in place further trimming can be done with a knife or scalpel. I find dipping the blade in water helps get a neat cut.
Some smoothing out with a brush and water helps level off the covering. Once it's dry I can refine any details easily. So far it's going nicely and I think it looks very close to the real thing.