I'm pleased to say progress has been very swift on the thunderbolt, so quick in fact that I am now at the painting stage! My plan to drill out the machine gun barrels failed due to the very soft nature of the plastic so I used some of my dwindling supply of minimecca tubing. Looks just the job. I did not bother in the end to add brake lines to the undercarriage.
Paint wise I went for tamiya colours which are XF82 RAF ocean grey, XF81 RAF dark green and for the undersides XF20 medium grey. I have also sprayed D day invasion stripes and a red nose and tail on the model. I need to do a bit more work on the camo at the moment probably by going back over with a lighter mix of the grey on the upper surfaces as at the moment it looks far to clean!