Saturday, 5 December 2009

Tamiya Panzer II

Here is my new build the superb Tamiya Panzer II



This is a great easy to build kit. I have added some Passion models rear idlers, not really needed but I had them hanging about so used them here. The only other additions are some bolts to the front towing points, some fine chain to the rear smoke discharger and a replacement tool holder from an old Aber set.



After a coat of primer I sprayed the model with some xtracrylix panzer grey. However this looked far to dark for me so I over sprayed with some tamiya German grey with a drop of buff.



This should counter the filters and washes that will be applied later and ensure the finish is not too dark.

Saturday, 28 November 2009

Spitfire ready to roll

Been a while again so better update! The spitfire is now completed and I am actually quite pleased with the finished article. The cockpit glazing is on the thick side but from a distance it's not too bad! I may get the Tamiya early Spitfire in the future so I can compare the two models and see which one builds the easiest.



Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Decal Disasters!

Today I have managed to get more done on the spit and have got most of the decals on. However not before some problems, I wanted to depict an aircraft from 609 squadron based at Middle Wallop in 1940 and so used some Aeromaster decals. Then disaster struck as both airframe numbers AND personal emblem for the aircraft disintegrated as soon as they where placed in water! Much swearing and general grumpiness ensued before I decided it will have to live without these decals. Then one of the roundels decided to break up! The model very nearly became a victim of a simulated flak attack!






Spitfire Pre Shading

Well I have not been doing much modelling over the last few days however the spitfire has had the pre shading done over a coat of Mr Surfacer primer. I used Tamiya NATO black for the upper surfaces and a dark grey for the lower portion.





The main colours will be from Hannants xtracrylix range.

Monday, 9 November 2009

Getting The Spit Sorted

Over the last few days amongst other things I have managed to get the cockpit done on the Spitfire. I used tamiya colours for the interior shade. The colours and ratios used where, XF5:1 XF65:1 XF21:3, all the details are picked out in vallejo colours. Today I have started gluing the fuselage halves together. The kit has few parts so should not take that long to construct.



Thursday, 5 November 2009

Another one done plus a new build

Well today I have started an aircraft for a change, Airfix's Mk1 spitfire in 1/48th scale. I am planning to build this OOB, however I have already added a scrap brass harness to the seat. I have also just finished the Tamiya 1/48th Austin Tilly. a smashing little kit. I just hope that Tamiya will produce the kit in 1/35th. We live in hope.









Happy bonfire night!

Wednesday, 4 November 2009

PAK 40 Finished

Well I have just put the finishing touches to the PAK 40. It's not as knackered as the PAK 38 which was a nice change after going bonkers with the chipping! I just added some subtle chipping, pin washes and some pigments to give a dusty summer look.




Next up will be some much needed work bench cleaning. Why is it with a bench space of 6 ft I always manage to end up modelling in a space less than a foot square!

Saturday, 31 October 2009

PAK 38 Finished

Well I have now completed the first part of this build and am pleased with the effects.
Now I must get on with finishing the PAK 40 after I have done some pumpkin carving! happy haloween!

Thursday, 29 October 2009

More Current Project Work

Today amongst other things like getting to grips with all things blog related I have been concentrating on getting most of the weathering on the Pak 38 done.Previously I had sprayed the model firstly in tamiya german grey then a light over-spray of tamiya flat white. Once allowed to dry for 10 minutes I used a stiff brush and tamiya thinners to distress the whitewash. The chipping and wear was done using a fine brush and both the german grey and white.

Some MIG filters where used such as brown for white yellow, No P406 and finally some selective pin washes using oils. Today I finished off with a good coat of matt varnish, my weapon of choice at the moment is gunze sangyo aqueous flat clear No H20.
Next will be some pigment powders both wet and dry plus lastly some metallic powders and graphite to replicate worn metals.

Current Project

My latest project is a commission build of two artillery pieces, a PAK 38 and PAK 40 from dragon in 1/35th scale. although artillery is not my thing I have enjoyed building these two, maybe because I am getting paid to build them! As the kits have relatively few parts the builds where completed quickly. Here are some pictures of the two kits ready for painting.

<

Welcome !

Welcome to my brand new blog! the idea of this blog is to share my modelling lows and highs as well as have some fun and pass on any hints and tips. be sure to check back regularly for new updates and items